Should you buy private medical insurance?
If you live in the UK, the chances are that you are entitled to free medical care from the NHS. However, if you would prefer to be treated in a private clinic or you want access to a wide range of the latest drugs and treatments, these may not be available from your local hospital.
If you’re looking for private care and the widest choice of treatment, you may want to consider getting a health insurance quote – sometimes called Private Medical Insurance or PMI.
If any of the following apply to you then you may want to consider taking out health insurance/PMI:
- You would prefer to be treated in a private hospital or ward rather than in an NHS hospital
- You want to be sure that you have access to all the possible treatments that are available
- You want access to all the newest (and often most expensive) drugs
- You want to see a specialist and be treated straight away rather than waiting for treatment on the NHS
- You want to choose where you are treated
- You want to be more comfortable in hospital – for example by having a TV or en-suite bathroom
Many of the above will not be available if you choose to have your treatment via the NHS. That is why many people choose to take out private medical insurance.
When might private medical insurance (PMI) not be suitable?
For some people, health insurance or PMI may not be suitable. For example, you may not want to pay for private medical insurance if:
- You don’t have the spare cash and are using the money to pay for PMI instead of other important types of cover such as home, car or life insurance
- You are happy to wait for NHS treatment
- You already have private health insurance as part of the benefits you receive from your employer
- You have savings that you can use to pay for individual treatments should you fall ill
Private health insurance can help you to supplement the care that is available on the NHS. If you want more choice over your healthcare and you want to ensure quick, high quality treatment then PMI could be for you.
We’re private medical insurance specialists and our job is to find you the best health insurance deal. Simply complete the form now and we’ll put you in touch with an independent, FSA registered expert who will compare PMI policies to help you find the right healthcare for you.